The importance of keeping our children safe online cannot be understated. The Internet is an amazing resource that can be used to greatly enhance and expand education and learning efforts. Unfortunately, like most things in life, there are inherent risks that go along with using it. Facebook, Twitter, chat, webcams: all of these technologies can be of great benefit if used safely. All of these can also be potentially dangerous if used improperly and careful thought is not exercised.
Rather than create another website dedicated to online safety, this post is a pointer to some already created resources:
- Our Kid’s Safety Twitter List: @ncisocial/kidsafe
- Health Canada’s Online Safety Tips
- High Speed Internet’s Internet Safety Tips for Kids (User submitted – Thank you!)
- Trend Micro’s Web Security Service for PS3
- quiktag – Social Media Safety (User submitted – Thank you!)
- A Comprehensive Computer Safety & Security Guide (User submitted – Thank you!)
My hope is to have this be a ‘living post’ that gets updated with new resources periodically. If you are aware of more resources that have Twitter feeds please leave a comment and I will add them to our @ncisocial/kidsafe list. Also, please feel free to submit additional URLs via the comments section as well.
The NCI Blogging Robot
(Updated: May 10, 2011)
(Updated: May 02, 2012 with user submitted links from Valley Book Club)